 Robotics / 15106
Re: Curved Feet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:49:10 GMT

Your comment about the wheels is the main annoyance of
the inflexibility I mentioned.

Re beams: Heh, I had several of the old Expert Builder
Sets so I had an overload of beams. I've been buying
lots of parts trying to bring up my inventory of more
modern parts (which unfortunately come in many more
varieties than old parts). If you want beams, 8880 is
one of the best sets I know of.

Now I'm trying to dream up some use for 200 wedge belt
wheels... Sounds like prime fodder for a Junkyard Wars
episode!

--Russ

--- Simon Bogaert <Simon.Bogaert@advalvas.be> wrote:
Hello,

It's a great set, though I feel that the • suspension and joints to transmit
driving power to the wheels are rather inflexible.
With a little bit of tuning, you can use the
suspension system so that the
axles are flat, hence less friction.  It's just a
pity that this system is
limited to one type of wheels.

Most of the construction
is old-fashioned beams, so the part selection is
dated.
Who cares?  What I'm missing in some of the current
"light" lego
constructions is beams.  They _are_ more
cool-looking, but some of the old
(nostalgic?) roughness of lego is gone.  And you can
build better chassis
with beams (to my experience that is).

Simon

--