 Robotics / 14708
Re: Curved Feet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 04:16:48 GMT

/nitpick on/
Unfortunately, there is a HUGE technology gap between these toys and true
bipedal articulation. The reason is that intelligent systems must control
the axes of each joint, but also in tandem with the state of it's partner
joint on the other leg. The simplest bipedal leg requires at least 4 joints
(toe, heel, knee, hip), each at least biaxial due to the fact that each
joint must manage the side to side balance. You would have to gang motors,
Technically, you can't move your knee joint laterally. As for lateral
toe movement - it's so small as to be trivial.
/nitpick off/

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ