 Robotics / 14724
Re: Curved Feet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 00:51:57 GMT

What kind of ankle joint?  A motorized one, or passive one?  If it is the first type I
think the leg will be too heavy to be moved quickly.  That is critical since the robot
falls onto itself.  Looking closer at the design, I think that you only need to be able
to bring the body over the foot, and then roll the body over the foot, and lift the
foot.  Maybe an ankle would be good.

Andy

Pete Sevcik wrote:

After viewing the walder movie, I wonder if it would work with flat feet, and an
ankle joint?  Gravity would keep the flat foot pointed down when the leg was lifted.

    - pete.

Chris Magno wrote:

I found a site
(http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~artkuo/Passive_Walk/passive_walking.html)
that had a movie with a walking style that seemed feasible.  I had tried
an AT-ST style leg, but that was too weak.  This leg requires curved
feet though, leading to my question:  How can I make curved feet?

Andy:

That's an interesting site.   I can't think of a way to make curved
feet, BUT there is the 1x6 sloped beam.  as seen here:

http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/beam/beam_4.html

I was thinking that if you used two of these with  the "studs" pointing
down, you might be able to replicate that walking gait.

Let me know if this works. I'd love to see a finished walker.

Chris
Visit my newly revamped walker page @
http://www.members.home.net/cmagno/technics/index.htm

--