 Robotics / 14830
Re: Shutting off illumination LED on Light Sensor for LIDAR
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 16:12:04 GMT

Juergen Stuber wrote:

jetleb@netcom.ca (Matthias Jetleb) writes:
  Someone else mentioned that LegOS is able to read the light
sensor 'passively' without illuminating the LED. Any LegOS
folks here know what they do differently?
I strongly suspect this is a myth. A transistor is a transistor is a
transistor. They all require biasing in order to function properly and
that requires power. Mind you, even so-called passive devices must
either generate a voltage or have a voltage present in order to read
their value, and it's probably that reduced voltage that is in fact
powering the light sensors. Not a high enough voltage to light the LED
(min 1.2V - more likely 1.9V - I haven't tried it yet) but enough to
get the photo-transistor biased (but not properly), Hence a weak and
non-linear reading.
Actually you don't need LegOS, any input set to raw mode
with the LEGO firmware will do fine.
This is because even in passive mode there is a pull up of 10k to 5V,
and in fact the LED is glowing dimly in this mode.
Just tried it, I can get raw values from ca 530 (dark)
down to ca 380 (at not-quite-frying distance to a halogene light).

   Yes, this is the result I discovered this weekend.

   My conclusion is that setting the sensor to raw mode does
not fully remove the light produced by the LED, and detrimentally
impacts the sensor performance.

   I think my next approach is to try to crack open the light sensor,
and install an externally-accesible jumper to open the circuit across
the LED's leads, so I can enable or disable it at will.

   Any suggestions for opening the light sensor without using saws and
hammers?

Jürgen

Chris - Xenon
--