 Robotics / 14783
Re: Shutting off illumination LED on Light Sensor for LIDAR
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:48:22 GMT

Andy Gombos wrote:

This sounds very cool.  If you want to do the mapping at the bottom, you will have
to use alternitive firmware anyway (right?),

   Maybe. I think RCX2 with NQC has some crude arrays, I haven't
looked into them yet, but I might be able to use them to do
simple mapping on the RCX. Or something even cruder if I don't
have arrays.

and they have a passivate command that
turns off the light.  It passivates the sensor, but I don't think standard firmware
has anything like this.

   Ahh. Hmm. I wonder what it actually does. Since writing, I
found

http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics/light-sensor.html

   which in encouraging,

and

http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/lightsensor/index.html

   which both confirm what I was speculating.

   Since it is an LED (Light Emitting DIODE) I would figure that
I could cause it not to emit by reversing the polarity of the
supply voltage. Not sure how that would affect the performance
of the phototransistor though.

Andy

Chris - Xenon
--