 Robotics / 14784
Re: Shutting off illumination LED on Light Sensor for LIDAR
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:59:19 GMT

Hi Chris,

You can turn off the LED with software though you may be a little
disappointed with the light sensitivity.  The reason the LED is on is
because your program has set the sensor to an active sensor.  If you set the
type to NONE make the mode RAW, then you will be able to use it as a passive
light sensor.

  SetSensorType (SENSOR_3, SENSOR_TYPE_NONE);
  SetSensorMode (SENSOR_3, SENSOR_MODE_RAW);

You can even turn the LED on and off by changing the type.

My testing though has shown that when the light sensor is treated in this
way it looses a lot of sensitivity.  It can detect bright lights but it
doesn't show much difference between plain ambient indoor light and no
light.  When I point it to either a desk light or even the Lego light bulb,
I can get as much as a one hundred drop in the RAW value.

Gus