 Robotics / 14727
  Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

Hi all, I am looking at buying the book - Extreme Mindstorms. Any comments welcome. I am an advanced user, and am looking for some ideas. For those who have it, what customized sensors do they provide instructions to build? Dave (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

For an advanced user, you will enjoy this book. I brings together some of the best of people. Michael Gasperi's part four in the book gets into passive and powered sensors. There include, the coin detector, Stick in ring switch, Thermistor temp (...) (23 years ago, 25-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

I have to disagree here. I have looked at all the current Mindstorms books and NONE of them are much use to the advanced user. I have only been into Minstorms for 4 months, but everything in these books, I had either figured out for myself, or found (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

(...) Some of the "advanced" (according to Gordon's definition) engineering, physics, and math topics covered in "Creative Projects with LEGO Mindstorms": Engineering Aside: Feedback Engineering Aside: Top-Down and Bottom-Up Design Engineering (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

(...) Perhaps this is because many of the authors have had Mindstorms webpages up before they published any books. True, if one is willing to spend a few hours researching on the web, one can find more info on Mindstorms than any one book can cover. (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

Henry, Thats what I've found as well. My last post might have sounded a bit strong, but I get really annoyed when I go out and buy a book ($50-$100 in Australia), and read it from cover to cover in a couple of hours, and get nothing from it. This (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

(...) Ben, My point was, if I already know a lot about the sort of things you have listed, where do I go now to take it to the next level. I haven't found that the available books on Mindstorms do this. For example, some ideas on robot navigation (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

This may have to do with the (debatable) fact that the Lego Mindstorms RIS is _not_ an "advanced robotic platform" It was engineered so that the average 12+ year old could play around with robotics concepts. It was never meant to to be the be-all of (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

(...) Agreed. I think that is a long way though. If you look at a lot of the current research, it is about tiny systems. I don't want information on large and complex systems, but clever systems. I am really keen to have my robots learn for (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

Gordon, That is a good question. And I agree, there isn't much out there in this regard. In my book I talk about very simple (1D) robot navigation - remembering a place that you went to and going back to it. As far as more complex navigation goes (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

it will be good to see novelty. (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

Henry, I would have to disagree about the non-Mindstorms book part. If you could point out particular books that you liked then that would be helpful. When I was researching for ideas for my book I searched on sites like Amazon for "robot" and (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question

(...) I agree that finding books on behaviour is a bit difficult.. That dives into the big world of computer programming... The robotics books I am referring to are at college now, and next time I'm on campus I'll look up their names (sorry for the (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics)