 Robotics / 14739
Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:39:44 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, David Martineau writes:
This may have to do with the (debatable) fact that the Lego Mindstorms RIS
is _not_ an "advanced robotic platform" It was engineered so that the
average 12+ year old could play around with robotics concepts. It was never
meant to to be the be-all of robotic platforms. I know none of us are asking
it to be, and we as a community have done wonders in minimizing its
limitations (MIBO, multiplexing, etc.). But, those of us asking for
Mindstorms books about concepts better left to devices dedicated to hobbyist
robotics (Bot-Board II, Mini-Robo-Minds, Pics, Amtel AVRs, even Basic
Stamps), and are comfortable with advanced robotics design and
implementation, are bound to be dissapointed. So I agree, the best course of
action would be to look at _non_ Mindstorms robot books, and adapt. Granted,
it will be harder, not having the work done, And some may not be possible,
but it will be your best bet. Keep in mind, the RCX, Scout, etc. can only go
so far. And, personally, I'm dreading the day when we see something that all
of us can look at it and say, "Now, that's the _furthest_ this technology an
be pushed!"

Agreed. I think that is a long way though.

If you look at a lot of the current research, it is about tiny systems. I
don't want information on large and complex systems, but clever systems.

I am really keen to have my robots learn for themselves. Neural nets, and
other learning systems would be quite doable as long as you kept the overall
system within reasonable bounds. ie A couple of dozen neurons.

Regards
Gordon

PS As I can't find the stuff I am after, I will be publishing any code I
develop on the net. It would be great if any other people working on this
sort of thing could do so as well.