 Robotics / 14730
Re: Extreme Mindstorms Book Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 01:55:38 GMT

I have to disagree here. I have looked at all the current Mindstorms books
and NONE of them are much use to the advanced user. I have only been into
Minstorms for 4 months, but everything in these books, I had either figured
out for myself, or found on the net inside a week of buying my RIS.

As I have been discovering, there is very little available for the
"advanced" user. By advanced, I mean, they have a solid grounding in all the
engineering, physics, and math as applied to robotics. And lots of practice
applying it.

I would love there to be some useful stuff for "advanced" users either in
print, or online, but it doesn't seem to exist.

Gordon

PS This is in no way an attack on this book (or any of the others) it is
just a comment regarding the usefulness of these books to advanced users.

In lugnet.robotics, Robert Fay writes:
For an advanced user, you will enjoy this book. I brings together some of
the best of people.
Michael Gasperi's part four in the book gets into passive and powered
sensors. There include, the coin detector, Stick in ring switch,  Thermistor
temp sensor, A crude camera, Galvanic skin response, Battery tester, etc.
Then he gets into home brew Powered sensors, Optointerupter, light sensor.
These are in detail so they can be built by a first time electronic builder.
Dave Baum contributes some additional programming in NQC.
There is a section on pbForth and LegOS programming.
Well worth having.

--
Bob Fay
rfay@we.mediaone.net

http://bobfay.users5.50megs.com/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Bluffs/7900/
"DJA" <dastolfo1@home.com> wrote in message news:GArJ0C.L5G@lugnet.com...
Hi all,

I am looking at buying the book - Extreme Mindstorms. Any comments • welcome.
I am an advanced user, and am looking for some ideas.
For those who have it, what customized sensors do they provide • instructions
to build?

Dave