 Robotics / 14518
Re: NQC 2.31b 1 and the RCXcc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 15:14:17 GMT

Hi Alan,

you *can* use RcxCC with the new firmware. RcxCC has not been updated so in
its native mode it doesn't support the new version of NQC. But for effect of
downward compatibility it has no problems in communicating to the new
firmware through the spirit.ocx you already have on your machine.

If you want to compile NQC programs for the new firmware via RcxCC you must
inform NQC that the target is an RCX 2.0. You can do this via the
environment variable NQC_OPTIONS set to -Trcx2. Using Win95/98 you have to
add the row  "SET NQC_OPTIONS=-Trcx2" to your autoexec.bat, while using
Win2000 you manage the enviroment variables from Control Panel - System -
Advanced.

If you want to try something different I recommend NQCEdit by Mikael
Eriksson:
http://hem.passagen.se/mickee/nqcedit/

HTH
Mario

"Alan Carmack" <amenpage@earthlink.net> wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Miles Gentry"
To: <lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com>
Subject: Re: DDK - What use are they / lower prices seen> To go to an even
higher level, after you get the new NQC, then get RCX2
firmware by navigating into http://mindstorms.lego.com/sdk2/index.html.
RCX2 with NQC may enhance the RCX's relationship with the Scout which • then
can control the Micro Scout more discretely.

On the download page it says:

-----
The main programming interface is the ATLClient.exe program that supports
both LASM and MindScript (and now also both the Scout and the RCX). The • new
firmware can be programmed in a number of ways:

1) You can continue to use SPIRIT.OCX and the Robotics Invention System
application because of the backwards compatibility. But in doing so, you
cannot explore the new features.
-----

I thought the RCXcc required spirit.ocx.  Does this mean I cannot use • RCXcc
with the new firmware, or use its "new features"? What would I have to do • to
make RCXcc compatible with the "new features" of the new firmware? If this
is not possible (yet), what other programs similar to RCXcc are there? I
would hesitate to switch to any, as I have been using RCXcc for 3+ years.

Alan Carmack
Pflugerville, Texas