 Robotics / 14180
Re: ABB irb340 PickMaster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 12:35:46 GMT

"Steve Baker" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:3A78DBA9.F3C3D257@airmail.net...

I'd love to try using servos sometime; but until I can find a practical • way
to get more than two positions, I think I'm going to have to stick to • using
LEGO gearmotors with potentiometers... :(

The problem is that servo's are driven by signals that are considerably • narrower
than the 1/100th second resolution timers that the Lego firmware provides. • They
use pulse-width modulation - so the width of the pulse determines the • position
of the servomotor. In a real radio controlled model, the servo's are given • new
position pulses 50 times a second - and you can have at least 8 servo's on • a
single controller.  That means that these devices are going to want a • pulse
in the 1 to 2 millisecond range - and the Lego firmware simply can't do • that.

HOWEVER, if you use LegOS and a C program, I would *expect* there to be • something
that you could do without difficulty since I'm sure the underlying timer • hardware
is MUCH more precise than 1/100th second.

Well, whatever... I'm just going by what it says on Ralph's site. :-/

    Iain