 Robotics / 14179
Re: RCX's and Lego Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 12:35:05 GMT

"J Austin David" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:200102010255.VAA03350@havoc.gtf.org...

You can do either one, but it has a few drawbacks --
  (a) not much variability in power -- all or nothin'
  (b) not much selectability -- all trains on the rails get power.

I've had success making a powered truck w/ regular train wheels (2
sets, one each side) and a middle set of tires -- 6 wheels.  Power
comes in through a vertical axle.  The only "problem" was that the
thing got GREAT traction, so if you abrubptly stop or start the
motor, it kicks pretty hard.  But it got great traction, and could
climb some unheard-of slopes.

...which is why I'm such a huge proponent of rubber-tyre based transit
systems :)

(Hear that, m.t.u-t? *sigh*...)

    Iain