 Robotics / 14144
Re: Building a computer from Lego's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 02:57:28 GMT

At 1:36 AM +0000 1/31/01, James Powell wrote:
My understanding is that a all relay machine can be built which can be classed
as a electric (not electronic) computer.  One can do all the normal logic that
is required for a computer (and, or, not- the remainder are special
combinations) using relays  (note, diodes make it much easier, but it can be
done without them...).  One can store data using a relay, and check on the
status of the data.  One can (conceveably) reprogram a relay computer, no
matter that it is quite inpractical on a large scale.

You are absolutely correct. The reason I was quoting "computer" was because it
has such a broad definition. Some folks get downright violent if you call an
abacus a computer, but it is. What you really need to do is classify the
computer. the most ubiquitous is the "Von Neumman Machine", a computer that
stores it's program in the same memory as it's data and typically has four basic
parts: input, output, memory and CPU. The CPU is further divided into control
unit, arithmetic-logic unit and registers. After that you just have variations
on a theme. My point was that the tic-tac-toe computer is simplistic--it runs a
single, deterministic program. A computer nonetheless.

Right now I am taking a course on PLC's (Programmable Logic Controllers), and
the info is quite interesting.  Babbage #2 is most definitely a computer, at
least to my mind, as would be one of the Bletchly Park BombÈs.

James Powell

You must accept Babbage #1 (the difference engine) as a computer, even though,
like the tic-tac-toe machines, it only ran a single program (non-programmable).
No one will argue, however, that the programmable machines aren't more
interesting.

Harley Myler
http://macmyler.engr.ucf.edu