 Robotics / 1352
Re: Why legOS?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 20:24:50 GMT

  I think,if LegOS was usable from a Window's PC system, it would be far
more popular. I for one would love to use LegOS, but I only have a
Eindow's based PC.

  1. I know I can get the GNU compiler for my PC, but from there how do
I get it setup?
  2. How do I unpack the LegOS.tar and download it to the RCX?
  3. Are there any program samples that one can look at and use?

  Using LegOS looks to be what I am looking for in producing a RCX
mapping robot, since it will allow me to have access to a large enough
memory to not only store the map, but allow the robot to use it for
navaigation.

John A. Donaldson

"Markus L. Noga" wrote:

Laurentino Martins wrote:
But spirit.ocx is Windows only, anyway, isn't it? What use would an OS
for your RCX be if you didn't even have one on your workstation?

I'm sorry if I offend you, but I think this is one the lowest quality arguments > I've ever heard :-(

That's not an argument. That's a passing joke. The arguments are the
phrases that have a dash in front ;-)

I'm very aware of the advantages of good Windows integration when trying
to sell a product. I'm also quite conscious of the fact that direct
control of any variable and setting from the PC is a feature not to be
underestimated, especially for the Cybermaster units.

At least it reaches a huge percentage of children/teenagers (remember we are not
the target of their sales), and let's say the truth, it's damn easy to start
programming with it!

I agree about reaching teenagers. However, with >50% of the units ending
up in the hands of adults, their marketing research team seemingly
didn't do its homework.

--
Markus L. Noga                  noga@inrialpes.fr
INRIA Rhône-Alpes               http://www.inrialpes.fr/