 Robotics / 1416
Re: Robotics in Aussie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:47:43 GMT

One quick question, is the Cybermaster software as easy to "hack" as the
Mindstorm OS.

The way I understand it is that the firmware which needed to be
downloaded to the Mindstorms chip, allowing Lego to issue any fixes or
new versions, is now burnt into the Cybermaster chip and cannot be
changed.

So if you mean can it be altered, the answer is no. Or you could mean, "
Is the firmware code readable ?". Good question! I assume it is a
different version of OS to that used in Mindstorms as it has Tacho
processing added. The Spirit.OCX is the same however.

There also other 3 functions for driving the motors and 2 for reading misc. hardware values.

I may not be the best person to answer this, but I think the answer is no.

The same way you cannot use the Spirit.OCX to read the firmware downloaded in your RCX, you cannot even have a clue about the firmware of the CyberMaster.
The only thing you are permitted to do is to ask the firmware to do things for you, not how he does the things you ask him.
The "salvation" of the RCX was that the firmware was in a easily identifiable file in the CD, that was downloaded using the Spirit.OCX.

Laurentino Martins

[lau@mail.telepac.pt]
[http://www.terravista.pt/Enseada/2808/]