 Robotics / 1342
1341  |  1343
Subject:
Why legOS?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 17:49:06 GMT

Laurentino Martins wrote:
Imagining I have a RCX (I might have one soon), why should I use the LegOS?
What it has to offer that compensates the loss of so much (like the Spirit.OCX
support) ?

If you think this is a general interest question, please post it in the mailing
list.

This is definitely a general interest question. I'll try and summarize
the pros and cons appropriately for the Powerpoint age.

legOS cons:

- System is unstable - this is beta.
- gcc and binutils required.
- C programming knowledge required.
- No graphical interface on the host.
- No spirit.ocx support.

But spirit.ocx is Windows only, anyway, isn't it? What use would an OS
for your RCX be if you didn't even have one on your workstation?

legOS pros:

- User tasks are executed as native code, not interpreted.
- More memory. Forget 32 variables. Think 32k.
- Full-featured language. Use the same gcc that compiles Linux.
- Priority-based preemptive multitasking.
- Real process synchronization with POSIX semaphores.
- Fine-grained hardware control:
   * supports CPU power saving.
   * complete LCD control.
   * raw mode IR.

Battling Creatures? You can force opponents to back up in fear. With
"Powerdown" or "Erase firmware", a legOS machine wins even with three
motors tied to its back.

As Christmas heralds some spare time, I have already sketched out
several possible legOS extensions.

- C++ support (possibly even STL)
- IR networking for multiple PCs and RCXs. Forget 1-byte messages.
   * UDP networking.
   * host programming library.
   * 4x faster task downloads.
- ECM against standard RCX communication.

In short, legOS isn't for you if

- you are a beginner or
- you prefer to control the RCX from your PC.

legOS is for you if

- you want complete control or
- you write software that runs on the RCX
   (for example, neural networks trained by genetic algorithms).

And, of cause, if you like to tinker with operating systems.
Contributions, bugfixes and suggestions are always welcome.

--
Markus L. Noga noga@inrialpes.fr
INRIA Rhône-Alpes http://www.inrialpes.fr/