 Robotics / 12594
Re: digital camera entirely made of mindstorms?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 05:45:19 GMT

Oh! I remember a story about that in one of the Apple ][ magazines, or Circuit
Cellar or something. They took a picture of a lightbulb I think (I guess their
version needed more light than yours). They used the same technique you
describe. I thought it was pretty amazing. They timed how long the bits took
to erase and used that to compute grayscale.
I wonder how impossible it would be for Lego to put a little camera into an
RCX. Something like the GameBoy camera, that would put a small image into a
chunk of memory that the RCX could get at. I would be happy with 64 pixels
square and two image buffers.

That reminds me of the digital camera I made 'by hand' about 15 years ago
by *carefully* milling the 'lid' off an old DRAM chip and replacing it with
a microscope slide cover.