 Robotics / 12597
Re: Color images? (was: Re: digital camera entirely made of mindstorms?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:32:25 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, David Eaton writes:
Ok, maybe I'm just out in left field on this one, or maybe someone will
actually be inspired to try it out... How about making a color digital camera?

Proposal: modify the existing design for the camera by adding on a colored
filter, and an extra motor. Bascially, create a wheel at the end of the lens
which had trans-red, trans-green, and trans-blue pieces. For each pixel that
the camera takes, cycle the filter for R, G, & B values. You'd have to tweak
the results a lot, but could it be done?

DaveE

Ok, so it's uncouth to reply to my own messages, but more on the color
blending:

-each filter could be 2 1x2 trans bricks-- the red filter would be green &
blue, green would be red & blue, blue would be red & green
-you'd also have a 4th filter (a hole) for a baseline gamma value. Hence, you
could determine how much additional gamma you'd need to add for weighting the
filtered values. So if you got an RGB of 10,30,20 (all out of 100, not 255) and
a gamma of 80 (out of 100), you could bump up the RGB to something like
20,40,30 (well, ok, you'd have to figure out the percentages, but that's just
for example)

DaveE