 Robotics / 12588
Re: digital camera entirely made of mindstorms?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:44:05 GMT

This thread is pretty old, but if any of you have questions about how I made
my pure-lego digital camera, I would be happy to answer them.

The camera scanned the sensor by tilting the sensor. It used the magnifying
glass from the Adventurer's set. It took a 40 X 40 pixel image, one pixel at a
time. I always stepped the motors in the same direction, to reduce any gear
lash problems. I took several scans and averaged the results to get my best
readings.
My software was written in Visual Basic, actually the free one that is
included with Microsoft Excel. After it had a 40 X 40 array of numbers, it
denoised it with low-pass filtering and I think I put in a little Sobel
filtering to enhance edges. It took about 20 minutes per scan, and I think I
used three scans to get my best image.

The imaging can be improved if you are not quite a pureist, by adding a small
piece of aluminum foil over the sensor with a pinhole. The foil can be
positioned so that it blocks the LED, and so it makes the sensor only see the
small pinhole region of the image.

In lugnet.robotics, Robert Munafo writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Matthew Miller writes:
Robert Munafo <munafo@gcctech.com> wrote:
[...] he made the robot scan several hundred "scanlines"
with several hundred pixels per scanline. [...]

Hmmm. I guess in that case my second scepticalness is over the ability to
aim position the lens that precisely with lego gears...

The error you refer to can be eliminated by using a rotation sensor on the • axle
of greatest angular velocity, and (more important) by scanning in the same
direction each time.

- Robert Munafo