 Robotics / 12607
Re: Color images? (was: Re: digital camera entirely made of mindstorms?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 16:49:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Amnon Silverstein writes:
I tried this a little when I first made my robot using the red bat wings that
come with the set, and I couldn't get a good image through one of them. One of
the big problems is that the sensor is mostly infrared, with some red
sensitivity. I haven't measured it, but I don't think it can see green or blue
very well.

Actually, I went home and tried it, and this seems to be the major problem.
Even for objects that were totally green or blue, the value with the red filter
over the end of the sensor was consistantly higher than the blue or green
filtered values. I tried this method both with & without a lens (the
Adventurer's magnifying glass), and with the filter placed directly over the
sensor, or directly in front of the magnifying glass. The only thing I'd still
like to try is blocking out other light by pointing it through a technic beam
hole and enclosing the rest of the space between the end of the sensor off so
there's less chance of interference of other light sources.

The interesting thing was that when putting the red filter directly over the
sensor, the reading increased to higher than it was with no filter at all;
whereas doing the same with a green or blue filter either lessened or had no
discernable effect on the reading. Again, this probably is due to the fact that
it uses the infared beam, which bounces back even brighter when the red filter
is placed right in front of the sensor.

Using real photo filters would work better than Lego parts, but the
image distortion wouldn't be too much of a problem, since you could place the
colored part directly over the light sensor.
You could print out filters on transparancy stock with an inkjet and try it.
The colors of Cyan Magenta and Yellow would let more light through than Red
Green Blue. CMY filters will produce a very noisy color signal, but it might
be detectable.

Well, that'd probably work, but then it takes away the fun of making it 100%
Lego! Still, it would be interesting to try-- to see if it worked any better
than the trans-lego bricks...

DaveE