 Robotics / 12257
  Limited slip differential

Hello all! As I was tinkering with some of the new-style differentials, I discovered that the claw-clutches (used to couple a free-turning 16 teeth gear to an axle in the 8880 Supercar and in the Space Shuttle) can be used to let both output axles (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Limited slip differential

Interesting. I assume you're talking about the white gear-looking thingy that comes with 8735. Where would you put it? In the center peg within the diff? - Greg (...) (24 years ago, 31-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Limited slip differential

(...) This is an excellent observation Simon, I had noticed that the bits on the the small gear on the differential were similar to that on the 16 tooth idler gears, but had never actually put 2 and 2 together and come up with the idea of using the (...) (24 years ago, 31-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Limited slip differential

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jennifer Clark" <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> <snip> (...) before. Thanks for pointing it out, Jennifer. My only wish is that he had some closer shots of his pneumatic hand and some of his other models. Oh well. (...) (24 years ago, 31-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Limited slip differential

(...) Actually, no. The white gear is known as the 'clutch gear'. It prevents the frying of your motor in case it gets stalled. I don't know any way you can prevent it from 'clutching' if the tension on the gear gets too high. What I actually meant (...) (24 years ago, 31-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Limited slip differential

(...) Thank's! > I can think of a lot of applications for your (...) thereby (...) Applications are endless - in another e-mail to the mailing list I explained some. Do mention the differential used in the adder/subtractor and as an output selector (...) (24 years ago, 31-Aug-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Limited slip differential

I thought you were a native English speaker :) One question I have: how to you engage and disenage the lock? Is this automatic? Is the mechanism more mechanical or more electronic? -Brian (...) (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Limited slip differential

(...) Thanks for the compliment. :-) (...) automatic? (...) I don't know if you own a Space Shuttle or the 8880 Supercar, but I use the same system as is used in their gear boxes. I use the same piece: a block with two cross-axle holes placed (...) (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Limited slip differential

I've been trying to look for a compact limited slip differential design, and the most compact design I could come up with is one in which a small pulley piece is put inside of the differential. To do this, first put together the differential with (...) (24 years ago, 2-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Limited slip differential

Now I see it. I found the gear you were talking about on the Technica site. This if very serendipitous, as I have recently been pondering how to make a locking diff with Lego. Thanks for the intel! - Greg Simon Bogaert wrote: <snip> (...) (24 years ago, 2-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Limited slip differential

(...) Nice :-) (...) Time for the pedant to strike again - I think you are right in saying that this part serves a similar purpose to a synchro in a real car, but the real one gradually sychronises the speeds of the axle and the "idler" gear so that (...) (24 years ago, 4-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Limited slip differential

(...) How about this for a thought - I remember reading somewhere about using the differential to keep a tracked vehicle on a straight path using one rotation sensor: (URL) using another differential in this capacity, it should be possible to detect (...) (24 years ago, 4-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)