 Robotics / 12318
Re: Limited slip differential
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:52:56 GMT

OneTimeCRX wrote:

The side with the cross-shaped hole attaches firmly to one
axle, while the other end with the rubber O-ring grabs onto the other
axle via friction.

Nice :-)

And just as a useless fact, the "claw clutch" part that was referred to
earlier in this thread is called a "synchro", in cartalk.

Time for the pedant to strike again - I think you are right in saying that
this part serves a similar purpose to a synchro in a real car, but the real
one gradually sychronises the speeds of the axle and the "idler" gear so
that by the time they are fully engaged (with dog teeth?), their speeds are
roughly equal. Without this synchronisation, the dog teeth will grind. The
lego one simply has the dog teeth and only sychronises the speed of the
axle and idler when fully engaged.

Jennifer Clark