 Robotics / 10919
Re: What to purchase first?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 11:42:37 GMT

"Richard Hamilton" <rhamilton@wis.twc.com> writes:

After buying Mindstorms, some of the technic sets are a
good value like 8239 or 8480. Good luck!!

It all depends on the price.  Space shuttle (8480) is a good set
with a lot of pieces, but don't expect too much from the motors,
IMHO they are not very useful.  Better is another gear motor and
you also want more touch sensors, so I'd go for the barcode truck
(8479) which has a gear motor and two touch sensors or Cybermaster
which has one gear motor and three coloured touch sensors, if you
can get them cheap enough (cybermaster is ~90$ here in Germany,
barcode truck ~100$).  8266 is also cheap here (50DM ~ 25$) and
has a gear motor (and two rubber fingers).

Jürgen

PS: Put wheels on two gear motors, connect them with a cable,
    and turn one wheel.  Remarkable, isn't it?

--
Jürgen Stuber <juergen@mpi-sb.mpg.de>
http://www.mpi-sb.mpg.de/~juergen/