 Robotics / 10913
Re: What to purchase first?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 03:20:14 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Scott P. Costello writes:
I am looking at getting into the whole robotics scene but I am very confused
on where to begin.  I looked at what is available and read all the literature,
but now I must ask the pros.

1. As a complete beginner (beginner to robotics, not to Lego or programing),
what is the best set to get me started?

2. What are the limitations to the micro scout and the Star Wars scout
modules?  Are they worth the money?  I am a big Star Wars fan but if this set
is extremely limited I don't want to invest.

3. Do all these scout modules actually work together like Lego says?

4. Considering that I am not rich, what should I buy?

5. If I can get a hold of the old RIS, is it worth it?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with John Matthews. Get a Mindstorms set first, then dump RIS and
download NQC. I would also recommend Dave Baum's book Definitive Guide to Lego
Mindstorms.

Yes, even though the RCX in the 9719 Mindstorms set has an external power
socket, this is not as usefull when programming mobil robots. I would look for
the cheapest Mindstorms set available. I have had good luck buying used sets.

In my opinion the micro scout is not worth playing with. It can only store 17
instructions, and the builtin motor is weak. The scout is a little better, but
why spend time with the scout when the RCX is better.

After buying Mindstorms, some of the technic sets are a good value like 8239 or
8480. Good luck!!