 Robotics / 10941
Re: What to purchase first?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 17:12:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Randy Trotter <rtrotter@cpis.net> writes:
As a beginner also, I have a quick question.  Where is a good source for kits • and
spare parts.  I have looked at EBay, but question the quality. Plus would like • a
reference as to what this kits sell for new so I don't overbid for used kits

Randy

Richard Hamilton wrote:

After buying Mindstorms, some of the technic sets are a good value like 8239 • or
8480. Good luck!!

Some of the best lego technic sets are out of production, like the two I
recommended, so it is hard to establish a maximum dollar value. On sets out of
production, I have beeen able to get MISB sets on EBay for less than their
original retail price. If you are concerned about overbidding, it helps to look
at the completed auctions to keep track of the market value of a set before
attempting to bid. As for the quality on Ebay, I have never been displeased
with sets even in "played with" condition.

As for the comment about the motor in the shuttle set, I use both the older
5114 motors and the newer gear reduction motors 5225. The space shuttle
contains the older motor, which has it's place in many projects. What I like
about the space shuttle is you get a micro motor 5119, a motor 5114, a light
unit, a polarity switch 5120, and over a thousand technic parts. If there is a
better set, please let me know.

I would add the recommendation to new users to consider the 8720 power pack
because it has an extra gear motor and has a friction clutch. These retail for
$40.00 USD, but on EBay I have gotten them for under $30 including shipping.

Another recommendation for people building mobil robots is the 9738 remote
control. This really helps controling and stopping run-away robots.