 Robotics / 10918
Re: Model of MATRA's VAL System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 06:39:03 GMT

Miles Gentry wrote in message ...

In lugnet.robotics, Iain Hendry writes:

Most network guideway systems steer the vehicles with such additional • wheels
mounted horizontally on both sides to follow either the left vertical rail
surface  or the right vertical rail surface at "Y" intersections.

Actually, none of the rubber-tyred systems I've seen have used that system.

Rubber-tyred large-scale Metros, in such cities as Montreal and Paris,
simply "drop off" the concrete guideway and roll onto their flanged wheels,
nested within the outboard mounted rubber tyres on their axles. The trains
navigate the switch using the flanged rails, then hop back up onto the
concrete beams. In Montreal it's slightly different, where the weight of the
train is still carried by the beam.

MATRA's VAL uses a secondary guide roller mounted within the centreline of
the bogie frame. Before a switch, where obviously the guide rail must end,
an auxilluary track begins, located between the rails. The guide wheel slips
inside of this slot. A flexible metal blade at the switch point pivots the
truck assembly accordingly. When the train is back on the section of track
where the guide can continue, the centre track stops.

ALWEG and other beam-carried monorails use beam-replacement to facilitate
switching.

The only system I've heard about using your design is the Raytheon PRT 2
000, which isn't built yet.

    Iain
--
tokama       http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr