 Robotics / 10917
Re: Model of MATRA's VAL System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 05:17:24 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Iain Hendry writes:
Hello,

MATRA of France makes an automated light-rail system employing rubber tyres
for guidance and support, which runs on what essentially looks like a
concrete trough (although a little more complicated). Systems in existance
include Lille and Toulouse. They're automated and employ two-car trainsets.

I've always been fascinated with such systems, so I thought I'd have a go at
building an automated system. After all, I hadn't played with my 7722 in
ages, so why not put the track to use...?

Here's a video of my first attempt.

http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr/temp/metro.avi

I've uploaded pictures of the bogies and car to the /temp directory too:

http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr/temp/

The RCX and drive motor is hidden within the cabin.

   Iain
--
tokama       http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr
ICQ UIN      5362826

Very nice model.  It opens a new door to creative building.

You can also do intersection guideway transits without robotics and train track.

Most network guideway systems steer the vehicles with such additional wheels
mounted horizontally on both sides to follow either the left vertical rail
surface  or the right vertical rail surface at "Y" intersections.

You can make crude track from inverted bricks and beams.  The intersections
require many hinged plates, e.g., those used in the Fibre Optic Multi Set
8456 and other Technic vehicles to provide angles.  The opposing rails must
join together and provide enough sturdy inside vertical surface for each
following horizontal wheel to press against.

The track must provide a trip after each intersection to flip a lever on the
vehicle.  The lever should move the onboard follower to the opposite rail.
Better yet, a continuously-moving randomizer on the vehicle can decide to
keep the follower on the same rail sometimes.

Suspended versions of this system also work similarly.  The cab hangs from a
guideway.  A single slot in the bottom of the monorail guideway provides a
narrow structural access to the supporting rails on opposite interior sides
of the slot.  In some cases the slots also provide the vertical surfaces for
the horizontal  following wheels to press against.  At an intersection the
follower assembly simply lifts one side whiile lowering the opposite side,
e.g., a beam with a center pivot.

Considering the prevalence of optical line-following robotic models, does
robotics exceed the requirements and reduce the challenge of building a
system of interection-laced guideways with independently steered vehicles?

Have fun, Miles Gentry