 Robotics / 10952
Re: Model of MATRA's VAL System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 00:48:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Iain Hendry writes:
Actually, none of the rubber-tyred systems I've seen have used that system.
(snip)
The only system I've heard about using your design is the Raytheon PRT 2
000, which isn't built yet.

My mistake for assuming that the appearance of horizontal wheels always
indicates their application to steering.  You noted that such steering
systems appear only in prototypes when used for passenger systems.  In fact,
my first exposure to such steering came from prototypes during the mid
1970's.   Since that time all appearances of horizontal wheels on guideway
transport vehicles left me presuming their role in steering in addition to
just keeping the vertical rubber wheels on the track.  Thanks for correcting me.

Your model kindled my interest to build a model with hoizontal wheel
guidance, particularly an onboard-steered vehicle on a network of fixed
guideways without track movement or flanged wheels.

Diagrams of such systems (proposals, not even prototypes to my knowledge)
appear at:

http://faculty.washington.edu/~jbs/itrans/krt2.gif
Look at the parts  labelled "steering rail" and "steering wheel"

http://www.abc.se/~m10183/e34shunt.htm
Look at the section "The shunting"

http://www.patents.ibm.com/cgi-bin/viewpat.cmd/US04671185__
This series of 14 pages starts with a good text summary but a complicated
drawing of the switch mechanism.  To view the remaining images after image
#1 you must click the next image icon (pointing finger) or the drop-down box
beside the "Order Patent" link.  The summary drawing image #2 shows the plan
view of a track intersection and a side-view drawing of the entire vehicle.
Images 3 - 7 show detailed drawings while the corresponding  text
descriptions appear on images 8 - 14.

BTW, how does "beam replacement" work?

Thanks for your help,
Miles Gentry