 Publishing / 3346
Re: Brickset.com receives overhaul
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 17:29:15 GMT

"Huw Millington" <hmillington@btinternet.com> writes:

"John Herre" <jherre@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:GttLro.GyJ@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.publish, Tim Strutt writes:

There are a couple of html problems on the home page.  The one causing the
problem is a <table> instead of a </table> near the end, shortly after • function
ValidatorOnSubmit.  When this is fixed, I can load the page in Netscape • 4.7 in
under 15 seconds.

Whoops... thanks for spotting that!

I have corrected it, and will go through the rest of the home page source
code files later on.

Ah, that would explain a lot.  Netscape 4 is extremely picky about
having a </table> for every <table>.  If you don't, it will not
display the table at all.

MSIE is certainly a lot more lenient that Netscape when it comes to these
sorts of problems, although my tests with Netscape 6.2 did not show it up.

Netscape 6 is a complete rewrite of Netscape 4, based on the
pseudo-open-source Mozilla project.  You can't predict anything about
Netscape 4 by using Netscape 6.

And although a shrinking minority, Netscape 4 is still widely used.
The plus side is that if it displays correctly on NS 4 with all its
bugs, it will most likely display correctly on *anything*.

(Except MSIE on Macintosh, that's even worse...)

--Bill.