 Publishing / 3217
Re: Advertise on Brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:03:31 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:Gs6x3r.CMq@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.publish, Tim Courtney writes:

(stump up donations from the LDraw community)

There are other, more important things for the LDraw community to be doing.
Stay focused and you'll get better results.

Gotcha.

Then again, I'll probably just tune my filtering software and go back to my
ad-free bliss.  Yahoo's figured out a way around it though :-(

(what? discontinuing or at least deemphasising popups in favor of embedding
ads on the same page as content? I'd consider that a win for the power of
popup stopper et. al.)

Well, for a while, my software, WebWasher, used to filter ALL ads, embedded and
popup.  I also use PopUp Stopper, because WW doesn't get ALL of the popups.  But
recently, sites like Yahoo's embedded ads are coming through, I'm in the
software now trying to tweak it to counteract that.

Hmm... I use Popup Stopper myself, which does a dandy job of stopping all
"new window" adverts. But I was unaware of anything that would stop embedded
banner ads. Are you saying you use something that does that? I didn't think
that was technically possible without also losing all other images that are
sourced from locations different than the page being displayed

www.webwasher.com - totally free.  It has several filters, it filters by where
the image is coming from (places like ad.doubleclick.net) and by image
dimensions - it filters popular ad dimensions (ie 468x60).  Very nice piece of
software.  Also filters web bugs, scripts, background images, frames, forms,
flash, if you so choose...  I keep banner images, new windows, scripts, text
links (ads), and backgrounds filtered along with web bugs, cookies, URL
prefixes, referrer id's.

-Tim