 Publishing / 2666
Re: Legal problem--Use of 2x2 brick as icon?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 05:16:55 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Tim Courtney writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message news:G6MAoE.G4M@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.publish, Tim Courtney writes:
[..]
Go ahead and use it.  Note - Todd has been using the 2x2 as a background
and distributing it for the past 4+ years.  AFAIK, no one has come after
him or the other sites which display his background. :o)

That's not quite true.  I was contacted about it in 1997, and we had a
meeting about it and other related online issues after that.

Ok.

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=7818

Hmm...I'm not following.  This post doesn't mention the meeting from what
I see.

No, it doesn't mention the meeting.  The point was that someone from LEGO
(or, rather, retained by LEGO) did once have some things to say -- some
issues.  They got resolved by changing the name from "Fibblesnork LEGO
Backgrounds" to "Fibblesnork Backgrounds" and by placing a notice on the
page stating the the LEGO brick image is a trade dress of the LEGO Group.

I just didn't want people to get the wrong impression from what you said,
which seemed to me to imply (or might lead someone to infer) that anyone
oughtta feel free to use a 2x2 LEGO brick image.  While that may indeed be
the case these days, I still find it to be a rather touchy issue.

--Todd