 Publishing / 254
Re: Best way to write the registered trademark symbol in HTML?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 06:17:23 GMT

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999 02:57:13 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman)
wrote:

sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) writes:

I can't remember the position of the trademark symbol in
Unicode (it's a four-digit number), but it is there. I will
try to find it, so we can see if any of the popular browsers
can handle it.

I looked it up. It's on position 8482 (decimal) in Unicode.

Hey, awesome!  I just tried  ™  and ™  next to each other on a
page, and they both worked on my system too.

Since you know so much about this, can I ask another follow-up question?--
Is  ™  "safer" (i.e., more likely to show up as the TM symbol) to use
than  ™ ?

PS: I was wrong about Netscape. The newest version handles
    both ™ and ™ as a trademark symbol. - But it
    is approximately three times larger than ® in the font I
    use.

How big is that in relation to the regular capital letters T and M in that
typeface?  And is it raised above the baseline?

What does this look like on your system--?

  <HTML><BODY>
  T M &#153; --- &#8482; T M<BR>
  <BODY></HTML>

--Todd