 Publishing / 229
228  |  230
Subject:
Best way to write the registered trademark symbol in HTML?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 09:39:21 GMT

Question:  What's the best, cleanest way to represent a -raised- registered
trademark symbol in HTML -- for example, next to the word LEGO?

I used to write:

   ...blah blah LEGO<SUP><FONT SIZE="-2">&reg;</FONT></SUP> blah blah...

and that looks pretty good in most cases for regular Times body type.  But
the problem is that it's a PITA to type and it induces extra leading between
the current and preceding lines.

So I've switched now to:

   ...blah blah LEGO<SMALL><SUP>&reg;</SUP></SMALL> blah blah...

which is easier to type and also still looks pretty good and doesn't have
the leading problem.

It's too bad that the &reg; symbol in typical digital typefaces isn't small
and raised like the TM symbol typically is.  :-(  Ah well.

--Todd

p.s.  I never shrink or raise the &reg; symbol when it appears next to
"LEGO" inside of a hyperlink tag (<A>...</A>), otherwise the underlining
goes all goofy on me.  Fortunately, at least &#153; for TM still works great
without modification inside of <A>...</A>.