 Publishing / 242
Re: Best way to write the registered trademark symbol in HTML?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 17:29:37 GMT

Todd Lehman (lehman@javanet.com) wrote:

sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) writes:

Why insert the font modification? I think LEGO® renders fine.

Because the ® symbol in typical typefaces (Times, etc.) on typical
systems (Windoze, Mac, etc.) displays as a large, obnoxious O-sized symbol
instead of a nice little raised o-sized symbol like TM (™) does.

Reasonable argument, although we ought to fix the font and
not make workarounds.

™ may work well on your browser, but it

1) is not legal HTML

Huh?  Why isn't  ™  100%-legal HTML?

Because character number 153 in Unicode isn't a printable
character.

2) does not work on DEC-Unix and Linux (haven't tested on other systems)

Is it really an OS issue, or is it a browser character-set mapping issue?
Are you saying that if you run Netscape 4.5 on Linux, ™ doesn't show up
as a TM symbol?  Or that if you run Lynx under DEC-Unix or Linux, it doesn't
show up as a TM symbol?

It is a MS issue. Microsoft uses a character table that is
equivalent to Latin-1 except for the positions 128 to 159
where they have inserted various useful characters that
appears at other locations in Unicode.

Neither Netscape nor Lynx will show ™ as a trademark
symbol. It is the same on both Digital Unix and Linux.

Admittedly, the mapping ™ -> TM is a Netscape extension, but it's been
around forever, and MSIE has picked it up, and it works on Macs as well as
Windoze systems, and these two browsers and platforms together still account
for almost all web trafic.  It's too bad that the alternatives to a ™
are so messy...  :-(  Also too bad that there isn't a &tm; entity that would
display properly everywhere.  Even ® and © don't display properly
everywhere.  :-(

I can't remember the position of the trademark symbol in
Unicode (it's a four-digit number), but it is there. I will
try to find it, so we can see if any of the popular browsers
can handle it.

Play well,

Jacob

           --  E-mail: Jacob.Sparre.Andersen@risoe.dk  --
           --  Web...: <URL:http://hugin.risoe.dk/>    --

LEGO: MOC+++c TO+++(6543) TC+++(8880) AQ+++ BV-- #++ S LS++ A-/+ YB72m