 Publishing / 234
Re: Best way to write the registered trademark symbol in HTML?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:19:42 GMT

sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) writes:

Todd Lehman (lehman@javanet.com) wrote:

Question:  What's the best, cleanest way to represent a -raised- registered
trademark symbol in HTML -- for example, next to the word LEGO?

   ...blah blah LEGO<SUP><FONT SIZE="-2">&reg;</FONT></SUP> blah blah...

Why insert the font modifycation? I think LEGO&reg; renders fine.

Because the &reg; symbol in typical typefaces (Times, etc.) on typical
systems (Windoze, Mac, etc.) displays as a large, obnoxious O-sized symbol
instead of a nice little raised o-sized symbol like TM (&#153;) does.

It's too bad that the &reg; symbol in typical digital typefaces isn't small
and raised like the TM symbol typically is.  :-(  Ah well.

There isn't a (TM) symbol in Latin-1

p.s.  I never shrink or raise the &reg; symbol when it appears next to
"LEGO" inside of a hyperlink tag (<A>...</A>), otherwise the underlining
goes all goofy on me.  Fortunately, at least &#153; for TM still works great
without modification inside of <A>...</A>.

&#153; may work well on your browser, but it

1) is not legal HTML

Huh?  Why isn't  &#153;  100%-legal HTML?

2) does not work on DEC-Unix and Linux (haven't tested on other systems)

Is it really an OS issue, or is it a browser character-set mapping issue?
Are you saying that if you run Netscape 4.5 on Linux, &#153; doesn't show up
as a TM symbol?  Or that if you run Lynx under DEC-Unix or Linux, it doesn't
show up as a TM symbol?

Admittedly, the mapping &#153; -> TM is a Netscape extension, but it's been
around forever, and MSIE has picked it up, and it works on Macs as well as
Windoze systems, and these two browsers and platforms together still account
for almost all web trafic.  It's too bad that the alternatives to a &#153;
are so messy...  :-(  Also too bad that there isn't a &tm; entity that would
display properly everywhere.  Even &reg; and &copy; don't display properly
everywhere.  :-(

--Todd