 Publishing / 1818
Re: Background Screening (was: Re: Introduction, and my project...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 01:22:25 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Christopher Lindsey writes:
Richard Franks wrote:

The background in this case is just a white wall.  To keep the lighting
even behind the scene (so that it's easier to pick out the background) I
use a 500w halogen work light with a sheet hanging a few inches in front
(this helps diffuse the light).

Anyhow, in PhotoShop I right click on the background with the "magic wand"
tool and select the "color range" menu option.  I then go through and
manually remove stuff that wasn't supposed to be selected, add things that
were missed, etc. (I try to use a high tolerance setting to get as close
to the object's border as possible).

I then add whatever background I want to have (in my case, I did some
thinks with the "render clouds" filter).  This is where problems come
up.  Usually there's still a small whitish border around the edge of
certain objects.  If I expand the highlighted area by a small amount
(say 5 pixels) and use the "Dust & Scratches" filter it removes almost
all of the jagged whiteness.

The magic wand is antialiasing to the background color which is usually
defaulted to white. An easy solution is to start with your clouds as the
background layer then place your castle picture as layer 1. When you cut out
the castle's background it will antialias to the layer below (your clouds)
w/o any white on the edges.

Although it sounds like more work than it's probably worth, it doesn't
take much more than 10 minutes or so to do an image...

No such thing as 'more work than it is probably worth'. In some cases I've
spent several hours on a single image on my site.

Jim