 Publishing / 1817
Re: Haylp! Why does NN take ages to load these tables?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 00:47:32 GMT

The answer is very simple:

Embedded tables.

Netscape is horrible about nesting tables. Every time you put a table within
another table, it adds download time to any browser. Netscape is really really
slow about this, Explorer is much faster.

Basically, when you great a table, The entire table and all its contents have
to be understood by the browser before anything within that table is shown.
Long story short, the browser needs to read and understand every table tag
before it knows how to actually build the table. When you add tables within
tables, it has the same effect of adding large images.

A general note on using tables in Netscape, all make sure that you don't leave
out any <TR> , <TD>, or </TR> , </TD>, </TABLE> or you won't see anything on
your page at all! (IE is actually smart enough to work around this though).

Hope that helps!

Jake

In lugnet.publish, Richard Franks writes:

Warning: Although these pages take about 20 seconds to load on my p166/linux,
they do 'freeze' it for that period - while it hasn't actually crashed • anything
on my end, something squiffy is going on - so I disclaim any responsibility if
it does crash your machine.

With javascript
<http://lightning.prohosting.com/~spontif/temp/haylp/>

Without javascript
<http://lightning.prohosting.com/~spontif/temp/haylp/index2.html>

These are just simple recursed tables. I don't know if it is a Netscape bug, • or
whether MSIE freezes too - has anyone come across this sort of thing before?
I'm a bit of an HTML newbie, so I could just be using incorrect tags, or
something really obvious.. or maybe there are known performance decreases when
tables are recursed?

In summary - Haylp! If some really kind guru wanted to,
<http://lightning.prohosting.com/~spontif/temp/haylp/haylp.tgz> has all the
files in one neat directory :)

Richard