 Pirates / 3910 (-20)
  Narrow boat hull middle

Hello, it's me, your friendly Dread Pirate Clangador again. =) I have several ships I've built over the past couple weeks that I've not taken pics of yet. I hope to do that soon and post them. I just have a comment. Do you know how rare the small (...) (20 years ago, 18-May-04, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) Same suggestion came to mind when I looked at it - needs a rowboat of some kind, and a capstan on the deck. I suspected that you left off the mainsails for visual reasons. Very nice overall, really looks the part! -->Bruce<-- (20 years ago, 17-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) Basically, the British are to blame. They used terms in conflicting ways, and then got sloppy (or is that sloopy?) about it. It's a "sloop of war" (class of ship, rather than rigging type), but since that is kinda tedious to say it was simply (...) (20 years ago, 17-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: Large Cannon MOC! Pirates Beware!

(...) Hi Again, I spoke before checking bricklink for the sets. You can find 7 copies of set 4176 on bricklink. You'll have to pay about 20 bucks apiece for them and you only get one chrome 2x2 per set. There is also 1 copie of 4177 but it sells for (...) (20 years ago, 17-May-04, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Large Cannon MOC! Pirates Beware!

(...) Hi Daniel, As far as I know, this part only came in two sets: 4177 and 4176. I believe both of these sets are discontinued. I managed to get a small supply of these off of bricklink and ebay. Last I looked, there weren't any to be found. You (...) (20 years ago, 17-May-04, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Large Cannon MOC! Pirates Beware!

(...) Hi Daniel, I got mine from: [LEGOSet 4176] (Though I need a few more before building a cannon like that one!) Adieu Richie Dulin (URL) (20 years ago, 17-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: Large Cannon MOC! Pirates Beware!

(...) I know this thread is old, but I was wondering if you could point me to the set that the chrome 2x2 round bricks come in? I'm interested in make 1 or 2 of these cannons for a ship I am planning to make in the distant future. Thanks so much, (...) (20 years ago, 17-May-04, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) Here's a couple of other useful pages on rigs: (2 URLs) And a *lot* on square rigs in general: (URL) Adieu Richie Dulin (URL) (20 years ago, 17-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) I really like your guns, I might have to use some. If it's one thing I need way more of, it's guns. They are just too expensive for me now on eBay. I've been fooling around with some ideas for guns, but i've only really come up with two good (...) (20 years ago, 17-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) hi Mr Dulin, thank you very much for the compliments! i am very happy with the overall design, it will translate nicely to my next ship (though she will be frigate sized;-)) as far as the sails are concerned, the reason i leave out mainsails (...) (20 years ago, 17-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) hi wes, thanks for the help with the rigging difficulty i had, i rerigged it correctly i believe. i put up some new pics. anyway, i have seen the definition of a sloop as a single masted vessel, butthere are also other definitions in all 3 of (...) (20 years ago, 17-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) hello mike, thanks for the compliments. :-) well, i try to be accurate with my ships, and i really dropped the ball on this one. so, i rerigged it. check out my new string, hopefully it is correct this time. again, thanks fofr the kind words! (...) (20 years ago, 17-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) I fear the French are slipping further and further behind. Fortunately, selection of shipbuilding supplies is en route to Port Brique. I just hope it's not too late! (...) A winner all round. And not just functional, she's beautiful besides. (...) (20 years ago, 16-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) As a vessel description, yes, but it should be refered to as "Her Majesty's Sloop Tempest" (Or HM Sloop Tempest). Just like you'd refer to a Royal Navy Brig as "HM Brig ...". But of course, there were no reigning British Queens between 1714 (...) (20 years ago, 16-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) Nonono, a sloop has ONE mast (At least since the 17th century; before that, it could be up to 3). Any ship with more than that cannot actually BE a sloop. "Sloop of War" is defined as a ship with cannons on one deck only. Both my own reference (...) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) Nice work! (uses leet hacking skills to see rest of pics) Clean lines, sloping done to perfection etc. So is it a ghost ship or have you crewed it yet? ;) (...) I'm no help on the accuracy side of things, I generally only take a cursory look (...) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) respectfully, my reference books say that the term "sloop" is very ambiguous. originally, it had meant a single masted vessel, but that definition changhed over time. the definition of a "sloop of war" is a vessel captained by an officer with (...) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) Or brigantine, technically, since the mainsail itself is gaff-rigged. Here's a page that explains: (URL) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) Here's some constructive criticism to start with, Steve: A "sloop" is by definition a single masted ship (with one jib). Your ship is actually a brig. Another thing you may want to change is the mast heights. The mainmast should be higher than (...) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

well, with Orion being a rather ageing man of war, she sailed back to England to be refit. as a replacement, the Admiralty sent out the first of the newest class of sloop, HMS Tempest. (URL) her design is a vast improvement over the prior ships. she (...) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.announce, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact