 Pirates / 3901
Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 01:03:01 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
   I fear the French are slipping further and further behind. Fortunately, selection of shipbuilding supplies is en route to Port Brique. I just hope it’s not too late!

A winner all round. And not just functional, she’s beautiful besides. Even the name, Tempest, is perfectly chosen.

Speed, I fear may be her one shortfall. A schooner should see her left over the horizon in most weather. A frigate, with a favourable breeze, would too. (But then, what would Tempest do when she caught a frigate?).

But pirates (Lego pirates, anyway) tend to lumber around in under rigged, under gunned, old-tech BSBs and so on. They’ll be matchwood in no time...

Great work!

Some mains’ls are needed - topsl’s are fine for heavy weather, but mains’ls (even if you keep them furled) will add to the character. A gaff tops’l too, maybe.

You’ve probably seen my carronade design (here, with some other light guns), but it may be too large.

A ships boat is always difficult to fit in (and should not generally be hung over the stern, as I tend to do!), but a rowboat or two on deck would look the part.

Have I mentioned recently that this is truly the golden age of .pirates?

I’m off to point the spyglass at Tempest!

Adieu

Richie Dulin

hi Mr Dulin, thank you very much for the compliments! i am very happy with the overall design, it will translate nicely to my next ship (though she will be frigate sized;-)) as far as the sails are concerned, the reason i leave out mainsails is that i rig my ships close to how they would be rigged when sailing into battle, enough sail to maintain speed and maneouverability, but not so much as to pass the enemy too quickly! ;-) the other thing is, i made some mainsails for Scimitar, and found that i didnt like the way they covered up much of the ship from most angles, so i left them off, and decided to forego them on this ship, maybe i will try out a set and see how they look though. i did consider a gaff topsail, but never got around to it. im still trying to improve my custom sails, but they are getting better. i realized after i took my pics, that i completely forgot to add some rowboats to the deck! how embarrassing! anyway, thanks again, and i look forward to seeing what you will have in store for us!

oh, here is the link for my rerigged Tempest, could i burden you by asking you to spyglass this one instead? sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks!

best regards, steve