 Pirates / 3898
Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2004 23:54:00 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Stephen Rowe wrote:
   well, with Orion being a rather ageing man of war, she sailed back to England to be refit. as a replacement, the Admiralty sent out the first of the newest class of sloop, HMS Tempest.

I fear the French are slipping further and further behind. Fortunately, selection of shipbuilding supplies is en route to Port Brique. I just hope it’s not too late!

   her design is a vast improvement over the prior ships. she is built for heavy abuse. she has a thicker hull, and a sturdier decks, which allow her to carry a bigger armament. she carries a complement of 16 guns on the upper deck. she has yet to be outfitted with any top deck carronades, but they will come. her lines are smooth for faster sailing than the earlier classes, and with her heavier armament, she will make a much improved hunter-killer/scout for fleet actions.

A winner all round. And not just functional, she’s beautiful besides. Even the name, Tempest, is perfectly chosen.

   pirates, fear the sight of her sails on the horizon, for there will be nowhere to run!

Speed, I fear may be her one shortfall. A schooner should see her left over the horizon in most weather. A frigate, with a favourable breeze, would too. (But then, what would Tempest do when she caught a frigate?).

But pirates (Lego pirates, anyway) tend to lumber around in under rigged, under gunned, old-tech BSBs and so on. They’ll be matchwood in no time...

   in all seriousness, i finally got off my duff and took out my legos again! it’s been too long. thanks to everyone posting creations recently, they really helped get me motivated! okay: i am very happy with the design improvement over Orion, Tempest is much more aesthetically pleasing. i have yet to build carronades for the top deck, and am having a bit of difficulty coming up with a design i am pleased with. if anyone has any pics of their own, or advice, i would much appreciete any help you can give! in any case, the feature i am most happy with is my improvement in the design of the stern galleries. it is hard to see, as black doesnt make for great detail visibility, but i tried to get some pics so you could see what it looks like. i think on this ship, i managed to get the “look” i was looking for, proportions and all that. i am extremely happy with the total package, and even my sails were better on this one, i will get better at them eventually.

okay, as always, i always am trying to render my ships as historically accurate as possible, so anything you guys can pick out, let me know.i looked at many more ships, and i think my mast placement and sail designs are accurate. so: PLMKWYT!!!!

Great work!

Some mains’ls are needed - topsl’s are fine for heavy weather, but mains’ls (even if you keep them furled) will add to the character. A gaff tops’l too, maybe.

You’ve probably seen my carronade design (here, with some other light guns), but it may be too large.

A ships boat is always difficult to fit in (and should not generally be hung over the stern, as I tend to do!), but a rowboat or two on deck would look the part.

Have I mentioned recently that this is truly the golden age of .pirates?

I’m off to point the spyglass at Tempest!

Adieu

Richie Dulin