 Pirates / 3894
Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 04:40:02 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Wesley Davis wrote:

okay, as always, i always am trying to render my ships as historically accurate as possible, so anything you guys can pick out, let me know.i looked at many more ships, and i think my mast placement and sail designs are accurate.

Here’s some constructive criticism to start with, Steve: A “sloop” is by definition a single masted ship (with one jib). Your ship is actually a brig. Another thing you may want to change is the mast heights. The mainmast should be higher than the foremast.

Seems like a very good ship. I’m looking forward to the gallery being made public.

respectfully, my reference books say that the term “sloop” is very ambiguous. originally, it had meant a single masted vessel, but that definition changhed over time. the definition of a “sloop of war” is a vessel captained by an officer with the rank of commander. sloops could either be rigged as ships (3 masts), or brigs(2 masts). large sloops were similar to 6th rates in layout, with 3 masts, a quarterdeck and forecastle. sloops of war carried 10-18 guns. there is considerable overlap of the brig classification and sloop classification. brigs carried 2 masts only, and usually only mounted carronades, rather than long guns, while sloops were larger, caried rated guns, and were rigged with either 2 or 3 masts. there was even a class called “brigsloops”, small, brig rigged sloops, sometimes carrying guns, sometimes carronades.

this is all taken from my reference book. it goes into much greater detail in explaining all the types of sloops, but i cant type that much :-) . in regards to the sails, i actually dont have any pics of 2 masted vessels above the lowest part of the mast, so i have no reference for the height of the masts on 2 masted ships. so the mast heights being backwards is entirely my mistake. i postulated the heights based on what i had read as the reasons for the heights and sail size of masts of 3 masted ships. the mainmast is placed far from the foremast so as not to mask the foremast from the wind. i figured on a 2 masted ship, the rear mast would be smaller, so as not to mask the foremast in the same way. anyway, that’s my mistake, thanks for pointing that out to me! :-)

please dont take anything in this post as me being mad, or any such emotion, it is hard to convey feeling online, and i want to make sure you dont take this post as me being unhappy with your constructive criticism :-) . thank you for your words!

best regards, steve