 Pirates / 3908
Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 15:45:06 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Stephen Rowe wrote:

   i did check out the websites you posted, and read all the definitions. basically, may i propose a possibility for where the disparites all came from? possibly the terms “sloop of war” and “sloop” have come to be used interchangably? maybe thats why some books describe them as sloops, and some as sloops of war. anyway, i was under the impression that my ship fell under the catagory of a sloop, based om my readings, so thats why i called such. i guess it’s a brig then? thanks

best regards, steve

Basically, the British are to blame. They used terms in conflicting ways, and then got sloppy (or is that sloopy?) about it. It’s a “sloop of war” (class of ship, rather than rigging type), but since that is kinda tedious to say it was simply refered to as a “sloop” quite often, still refering to the class, and not the rigging. Just to confuse things further, a “ship-rigged” sloop wasn’t refered to as a ship even though it wasn’t sloop-rigged (Captain Jack Sparrow corrects himself incorrectly in PotC - not that the vessel in question was even ship-rigged).

Sometimes these things make more sense when you see the progression of how they came about - a “topsail” might have topgallants, royals, and skysails above it, so why is it a topsail? It certainly isn’t on the top. When there were only two sails, it was, however. But once a third sail was introduced, do you confuse the sailors by moving the term to the new sail (and again, when a fourth sail, etc.), or leaving it where it was? I don’t know why the sloop/ship terminology came about the way it did, but I rather imagine that it runs along the same lines.

So, it’s Brig-rigged, but could be refered to as a Brig, Sloop-of-War, Sloop, and Brig-Sloop all correctly within the British conventions for warships.

No wonder we fought them! They probably can’t even spell “gray color” correctly! ;-)

-->Bruce<--