 Pirates / 3900
Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 00:51:23 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Wesley Davis wrote:
   Nonono, a sloop has ONE mast (At least since the 17th century; before that, it could be up to 3). Any ship with more than that cannot actually BE a sloop. “Sloop of War” is defined as a ship with cannons on one deck only. Both my own reference books (The Story of Sail is an excellent resource) and Webster’s Dictionary confirm this, along with other sources. Check out the webpage I posted earlier ( http://users.pandora.be/tree/wrecksite/db/other/types_of_sailing_ships.html?en ); it does an excellent job of correctly detailing the various sail-plan names.

http://www.websters-dictionary-online.org/definition/english/sl/sloop.html

http://www.websters-dictionary-online.org/definition/english/sl/sloop+of+war.html

Ships were usually classified by sail plan. If you add a jib sail to a sloop, it becomes a cutter. If you add a mast, it becomes a brig (both masts square-rigged), a brigantine (A two-masted vessel with the foremast fully square rigged and her mainmast rigged with both a fore-and-aft mainsail (usually a gaff sail) and square topsails (and possibly topgallant sails)-**This describes your ship**), or a schooner (all masts fore-and-aft rigged). Note that the term sloop also implies fore-and-aft rigging.

Therefore the Tempest *is* a “Sloop of War” but is not an actual “Sloop.”

:)

hi wes, thanks for the help with the rigging difficulty i had, i rerigged it correctly i believe. i put up some new pics.

anyway, i have seen the definition of a sloop as a single masted vessel, butthere are also other definitions in all 3 of my books. i already typed above what my first book sadi about sloops and the classes of sloops (brig sloop, ship sloop, flush decked sloop). that was from “Nelson’s Navy, the ships, men and organization, 1793-1815” by Brian Lavery.

in “The Enclyclopedia of Ships”, a sloop is defined as: “in the 18th and 19th centuries, a small warship similar to a corvette, later a somewhat larger steam warship......, more commonly a single masted yacht with a single headsail, and by far the most common type of sailing pleasure craft.” this definition encompasses your definition, and also compares them to French Corvettes, defined as: “a french warship, too small to warrant a rate (and thus the equivilant of a British Sloop).”

corvettes were usually brigs or small ship rigged vessels, with not quite enough guns to be a sixth rate.

finally, in “Naval Warfare in the Age of Sail”, references are made to numerous brig and ship rigged vessels as being “sloops”, such as the 18 gun USS Ranger, USS Argus, HMS Cherub, and many others. it also uses the terms: “Ship Sloop” and “Brig Sloop”, terms described in the first book as well.

i did check out the websites you posted, and read all the definitions. basically, may i propose a possibility for where the disparites all came from? possibly the terms “sloop of war” and “sloop” have come to be used interchangably? maybe thats why some books describe them as sloops, and some as sloops of war. anyway, i was under the impression that my ship fell under the catagory of a sloop, based om my readings, so thats why i called such. i guess it’s a brig then? thanks

best regards, steve