 People / 265
Re: Memberships - so many people I don't know
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 22:03:45 GMT

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999 06:16:53 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman)
wrote:

Second, LUGNET can support far greater overall traffic levels than RTL (it
can have much more traffic without it becoming a problem.)  Over recent
weeks, for example, LUGNET as a whole has averaged more than 400 messages
per day on weekdays and about 300 messages per day on weekends.  Now
obviously a single group *could* have that much traffic per day all by
itself -- and I've actually seen single groups on Usenet averaging 1800
messages per day! -- but there's no way that a single group getting that

misc.jobs - 102754 unread messages. Download (Y/N)?

And indeed, the effect you mention is visible there. There are no
human readers anymore.

Finally, it's an awkward stage we're in at the moment:  traffic and posting
levels are still only about 2x what RTL was at its peak in the summer of
1998 -- and that's still small enough to look at it all and say, hey, what's
up with my not meeting more people in the groups I read?  But before you
know it, someday there will be 1000 messages per day here, then someday
2000, and someday (maybe a long way off) 5000.  When levels reach that
point, now just about *everyone* will be someone you haven't met yet.  At
some point in fact it will become literally impossible for any one person to
read every single article posted to the system, and that's a critical-mass
perception issue.  I figure it's about another 2x from where we are now
before that happens, which makes it about 8x from where things started a
year ago when things here were still pretty quiet.

300 messages per day is highly doable, 600 is a lot but still
possible, and for a 1000 messages per day you need a dedicated
full-time job _and_ hobby doing it. More is impossible.

Jasper