 People / 255
Re: Memberships - so many people I don't know
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 12:21:16 GMT

In lugnet.people, Todd Lehman writes:

Of course you can always step out of your "safe zone" periodically and check
out groups/boards that you don't normally read.  That way, you will have
seized the opportunity to meet lots of people, rather than being passive and
missing it.  Just a different way of looking at it.  You have to work a
little (read more groups) if you want to meet lots and lots more people.

Of course I can, although I wouldn't call it a "safe zone".

[I wrote]:
It almost feels like I've gone from a small school, where everyone knew
everyone else, to a university, where small cliques are created by finite • and
similar interests with little or no contact with anyone outside of the • clique.

Well, first of all, near as I can figure, there are many, many more people
here now today than there ever were in RTL 1-2 years ago.  So it's going to
feel like there are more people because there are more people.  And the
reason they can get into groups and become closer is because it's now
possible to do that, where it wasn't before.

That's a definitive given.

[major snip - none of which I disagree with]

Is anyone else experiencing this?  Is this a good thing?*

Ed "Boxer" Jones

*LUGNET is a great thing; the question is are the "cliques" that have formed • a
good thing.

Well, I wouldn't call them "cliques" -- in fact, I haven't actually seen any
real cliques here yet, have you?

"Clique" was a poor choice of words.  I have not seen any cliques.  Using my
university analogy, I'd say "majors".  But "special-interest groups" also
works.

What we have are special-interest groups,
and that's a different thing.  We've got a group of CAD developers, for
example, and a group of Robotics hackers.  We've got a group of folks in
Italy speaking 20 messages in Italian every day, and a group of folks in the
UK speaking 15 messages in English every day.  Each group has its own
jargon, it's own culture.  Many people do venture outside of their favorite
groups, but those who choose not to would not be here in the first place if
the signal-to-noise ratio wasn't acceptable to them.

In other words:  If you have a large community of people and you don't break
it down into special interest groups -- and try to prevent cliques from
forming -- then the result is a very low signal-to-noise ratio for your
average participant who's only interested in a few topics (very few people
statistically are interested in *everything*).  And as soon as you have a
low signal-to-noise ratio, people start dropping like flies, even as new
people join in.  After a while, all you're left with is people who either
enjoy a very wide range of things or can filter out what they consider noise
easily.  It turns out that's not too many people.  That's why there were so
many familiar names in RTL as it got big.  I can't even count the number of
people who dropped out over the years as things got too unmanageable, but I
can easily count the familiar names who stuck it out over the years.

At any rate, it's not a good thing or a bad thing -- it's just a natural
byproduct of a large user population.  I guess it's a good sign.

--Todd

True