 People / 259
Re: Memberships - so many people I don't know
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 00:46:01 GMT

In lugnet.people, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.people, Ed Jones writes:

Of course I can, although I wouldn't call it a "safe zone".

I didn't mean that to sound insulting -- sorry.

No need to apologize.  I didn't take it as an insult.  I wouldn't call it a
"safe zone", more a "selected reading zone".

[major snip - none of which I disagree with]

I thought of one other reason -- it has to do with name frequencies...see
what you think about this theory:

When scanning articles in newsgroups, there are usually a whole bunch of
posts from a relatively small bunch of people, like this...

  ACBABCACMACAEHABQCACBDFCKABCBGAICKDABCA...

...where A and B and C (for example) become very familiar.  But now all of
a sudden there is a list of names where each person appears only once in
the list, like this...

  ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ...

and new names appear out of nowhere!  :-)

[snip]

How does that sound?  :-)

--Todd

Ack, I've got Todd over analysing (Aquarius with Virgo rising?).

My whole point was simply that I didn't recognize a lot of people on the
membership list and that it was because I only read posts on certain groups
(for example, I don't read the Train, Robotics or Aquazone groups).
  And I wondered how many other people didn't recognize names on the membership
list because they also only read "select" groups.  There seem to be a lot of
new people around that I have no idea about (I suspect that they post mostly to
Robotics or the CAD groups).

Yes, the analysis above (most of which was snipped) does show the frequency and
infrequency of posters.  That's a given.

I have a feeling that you have taken my original post too much to heart.  The
rapid growth of LUGNET is a wonderful thing.  But that growth has led to
LUGNET, for me and through my own fault, having lots of people I don't know.

[Note to Larry P - how do you have the time to read every post?]

Ed "Boxer" Jones