 People / 251
250  |  252
Subject:
Memberships - so many people I don't know
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 05:01:45 GMT

I was just looking through the membership list and am astonished at the number
of names listed that I am not familiar with.  In fact, I don't know about 60%
of the members.

Which makes me wonder:  In RTL, I can/could read who posted to any thread, even
if I had no interest in reading that thread.  By sheer frequency of posting,
names became familiar.  And people posted on lots of general topics so it seems
like you knew almost everybody.

LUGNET, by design, is much more specialized and categorized.  Because of that
categorization, I read only the boards that interest me.  Because I have no
exposure to other boards, it seems that I have missed the opportunity to meet
lots of people.

It almost feels like I've gone from a small school, where everyone knew
everyone else, to a university, where small cliques are created by finite and
similar interests with little or no contact with anyone outside of the clique.

Is anyone else experiencing this?  Is this a good thing?*

Ed "Boxer" Jones

*LUGNET is a great thing; the question is are the "cliques" that have formed a
good thing.