 People / 254
Re: Memberships - so many people I don't know
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 10:59:25 GMT

In lugnet.people, Ed Jones writes:
Which makes me wonder:  In RTL, I can/could read who posted to any thread, • even
if I had no interest in reading that thread.  By sheer frequency of posting,
names became familiar.  And people posted on lots of general topics so it • seems
like you knew almost everybody.

LUGNET, by design, is much more specialized and categorized.  Because of that
categorization, I read only the boards that interest me.  Because I have no
exposure to other boards, it seems that I have missed the opportunity to meet
lots of people.

That's one of the reasons I like reading lugnet from the "main screen"
(the primary URL, www.lugnet.com).  It displays messages from all the
newsgroups.  I do some picking and choosing, of course, but it helps
counter my tendancy to zero in on 3 or 4 lugnet groups and makes
the experience way more r.t.l-ish.

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emil