Re: its over!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:24:56 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.wamalug, Kevin Loch writes:

Actually it was a 24 hour place for the stuff, just not the people.
That was a huge advantage.

Well yeah.  If we'd had to pack everything out each night, the whole fest would
have been a stupid idea.  I'd never even considered what we got as a
plus...more like the base line.

There are very few places that will give
you a space to occupy 24hrs without spending huge $$$.

I worked at the University of Missouri for three years and rented a room for
twelve hours to get married.  It was larger than the three rooms and the side
lounge area at GMU, could be kept as one or accordianed into three, was
available 24 hours per day, had on sight catoring which was good but overly
expensive, had a food court in the same building on weekdays, included lots of
over-flow space for free, and cost about $300 for my 12 hours.  Presumably if
I'd wanted it for 60 hours it would have been $1500 or less.  (Actually, I'm
pretty sure it would have been less.)  But that's in the midwest, everything is
somewhat cheaper.  If conference prices follow the housing market, then the
cost out east would be about $2300.  That's a lot of money...but maybe not too
much to come up with.  70 people at $40 is $2800.  Those might be reasonable
figures for next year, or the one after.

Most (all)
hotel conference rooms are scheduled by the half hour and it is impossible
to get them 24hrs unless you have tens of thousands of dollars to throw
around.

This may be true for the especially desirable ones but I've been to many events
at smallish conference hotels that managed 24 hour access and I don't think
they could possibly have spent that much.

We are looking at getting a place in the main campus of George
Mason University for next year.  It's a new modern building.  Plus it's
in Suburban Fairfax County, so it will be much easier to find, and
the Hotels might be less expensive.

Cool!  I hope that works out.  Will it stil be free since it's part of GMU?
Will whichever of you is staff there, still be next year?

Chris