Re: its over!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 01:41:42 GMT

I'll tack this on to an existing thread:

A great time had by all, and a weekend of great fun for me.  Though others have said it, I'll
say it again:  Thanks and kudos to Denise Jadud and Stephen Roberts for their great
organizational efforts and Kevin Loch for being the agent of technology.  Also, whoever was
responsible for finagling the accomodations, my hat's off to you for finding a really nice
space!  My feeling is that the level of control and structure was just right--it felt like
things were happening but not like we were at a seminar or something dangerously close to
(*shudder*) work.  The only thing I didn't love was the weather, because sun and I don't mix
well.

The big event for me was the Pirate Game, of course, and I'll be contributing to those threads
soon enough.  A humongous thanks to Frank Filz for running it, for putting up with my really
poor pirate humour, and of course for bringing all of those great ships/MOCs of
his--especially the gorgeous Red Seas Barracuda and the toxic Green Hornet CBC.  ;)  It was
great finally to get to meet the person on the other end of all those packages.  All of the
Pirate Game combatants made the experience a load of fun, even though I almost got my
treacherous self sunk.

Sunday morning's outlet shop'n'go was also a ton of fun, not just for getting great stuff, but
also for communing with other Brickfesters in our natural element, the Lego store.  ;)  The
thanks for that are of course for Buffie and the staff at the Outlet store--I'm just sorry
that I missed all the fun on Saturday night!  Instead, I went to bed at 8pm with a killer
sun-induced migraine.  :(  Ah well, there's always next year!

In all it was great to meet everyone I'd seen only in NNTP and the occasional .jpg; there's
too much to recount here!  I did get to explore the area a little bit, and even got into DC on
Sunday afternoon.  I now know (thanks in large part to Chris Weeks) where some good
restaurants are both around here and back in NJ, and just how huge the Mall really is.  (No,
not Potomac Mills, but that too...)

So what are the dates for *next* year?  I have to plan my calendar around it!  :)  To answer
Stephen's question "was it worth it?" I'd respond with a hearty "Arrr, yes."  My total cost,
including the room, travel, and food, probably came out to about $220 for the weekend.  I'd
gladly pay at least $15 for admission to a BrickFest, more (an extra $10?) if there's a
ConSuite where the soda runs like water and stocked full of freebie munchies of course.  (The
downside of a ConSuite-style operation is that someone has to staff it, of course--but one
could easily institute a gofering system to offset that.)  Sign me up *now* for next year!

Anyways, that's the ramble.  I had a great time!  Unfortunately, now it's thunderstorming
outside...feh.  Feast or famine, indeed.

best,

Lindsay